Books

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Just Lovely


When you live on a housing estate (hopefully not for much longer!!!) in a working class Scottish town, its easy to despair of books filled with rosy cheeked grubby children wading in puddles and playing with pine cones. I have a security camera on a pillar 50 feet from my house. The pharmacy at the end of my street dispenses methadone to a waiting que at 10am every day so we have to avoid it. There is glass in the park, shopping trolleys occasionally half way down the hill, and comings and goings at all times of the day and night from some of the more dubious residents of our street. You can see why I want to move? But this book didn't depress me, it was quite uplifting on a cloudy afternoon when I had a migraine hanging over me.  For a little while I forgot where I was and saw the wonder all around me through the eyes of a child. I will also be following SouleMama's blog from now on.
Thanks SouleMama, you got through where many others have failed.
SouleMama

3 comments:

  1. It is a lovely blog and book - she does reach out in a special way.
    hugs Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeek where do you live?! I am hoping you find a lovely new home soon! I have a whole crew of grubby children here, they really don't need any excuse! They made a mud bath last summer and literally wallowed in it like piggies!
    The book looks fab, I must find a copy. I love inspiring books.
    With reference to your comment on my blog. The quilted throw is from Laura Ashley. I bought it for my mum last year and stuggled somewhat parting with it! I think your country garden theme sounds great too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in the place I grew up, and back then it was a nice place. My Mum lives in a little area just outside of it, and we moved back here in June 2009 to be closer to her, because my Dad passed away in January 2009 and she was struggling. We took the house because its a good size with a good garden, but now that Oscar is getting a bit older its time to ship out. The throw looks like Laura Ashley are something close to it, its so cute.
    V
    xxx

    ReplyDelete