Books

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Alli?

I haven't mentioned Hattie for a few posts, but don't worry, she is still here, my imaginary friend. I wanted to bring up a delicate subject, one which is so close to Hattie's heart, it probably surrounded it and contributed to its early retirement. Yep, I am talking fat. My battle with weight has gone on since I was 18 years old and I am SO tired of it. I was a skinny child, all long hair and pointy elbows, and this carried on into my teens. I was married (the 1st time), at 17 and my wedding dress was a size 10. I had my first child at 19 and by then I had gained quite a bit of pregnancy weight. I recall two lovely comments from my Mother during the pregnancy 'You look as big as a house' and (wearing a red maternity dress), 'you look like a giant tomato'. I never managed to lose the weight until my son was over 1 year and I went to buy a new dress for my wedding anniversary (my son was 15 months) and I was delighted to be able to buy a size 12. I was pregnant again 2 months later and the weight piled on again. This time my daughter was born and I didn't lose any weight until she was 4. I went to college to study art and being out and about helped. When my daughter was 6, my husband and I split and my weight dropped again, I was size 14. This lasted a few years, then I moved in with my now husband, and finished college. I couldn't find work and was hanging around the flat all day. Slowly the weight piled back on again. I reached a size 20 and that was when we got engaged and set a wedding date, so I was determined to lose it. And I did, by December 2005 I had lost 5 stone and was a size 14 again. In all honesty though, I was working for the Government (so out all day), by then and had to half starve myself to do it. The following year I had my gall bladder removed and the weight started to creep up. In January 2008 I went into hospital for surgery to be able to have another baby (I was sterilised). I had been a smoker then and stopped smoking the day I went into hospital. When I came out, we began trying for a baby and I began eating sweets (smoking replacement), day and night. We were extremely lucky and became pregnant in March 2008. Again I piled on the weight, and here we are. The baby is 2 years old and I am a size 22. Don't I know my weight time-line so well? It really really bothers me every day.
Anyway, Alli. I am considering trying these drugs. I need to give myself a mental push and even if the weight loss they allow isn't huge, it will hopefully help psychologically. At almost £40 they aren't cheap either, so being a typical Scot (kidding), I hope I get my monies worth.
More info on Alli here

2 comments:

  1. I'm tackling my weight now too, comfort eating wasn't comforting anymore. It's not easy is it? I hope you find what works for you. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you, its almost more difficult than stopping smoking.

    ReplyDelete