Books

Sunday, February 06, 2011

Kings and Colds

I am absolutely bowled over with the cold. The little fella still has it and that's over 2 weeks now and it looks like my husband is set to have it too. In the true spirit of feeling poorly, we have been eating lots of soup and watching plenty old movies, or, movies about the past. This leads me on to 'The Kings Speech' , and I have to say, it is certainly worth all of the praise it has received. I am partial to Colin Firth in anything, because he is undoubtedly a fine actor, and Helena Bonham Carter is excellent as Queen Elizabeth. I am currently reading King George VI and Queen Elizabeth by Christopher Warwick, so it was excellent timing and tied in nicely. I have to confess to a certain fascination with the Royal family (some more than others). But even if you are not too enthralled with them, the film is still worth a viewing. The costumes and sets are amazing of course, and any period enthusiasts can bathe in the visual feast of the movie.
Well, that's about all I can manage for the day, I am feeling weak and watery (sounds lovely doesn't it?). I will finish off with a recipe for one of my favorite soups, taken from Retro Food Recipies

Green Pea Soup Recipe

Green Pea Soup Recipe with Green Peas, Stock, Milk, Mint, Butter, Cornflour and Croutons.

INGREDIENTS

2 lb (900g) Green Peas
1 1/2 pints (900ml) Vegetable Stock
1 pint (600ml) Milk
Sprig of Mint
1 oz (25g) Butter
1/2 oz (13g) Cornflour
Croutons

METHOD
Shell the peas. Wash the pods and put them into a saucepan with the stock. Simmer for 20 minutes. Strain and return the stock to the saucepan, add the peas and mint, and simmer until tender. Then rub through a sieve (or blend). Add to this puree the butter, the milk mixed with cornflour and a good seasoning of salt & Pepper. Stir while it boils for 8 minutes. Serve hot with croutons.

Enough for 4 people.
Based on the Green Pea Soup recipe in:
Home Cookery Illustrated
by Anon (Odhams Press, Circa 1955).

* I use cream in mine instead of milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment