Books

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Art Therapy

Its fair to say my last post was pretty depressive, putting it down on the blog has actually helped me retain the memory of how bad I felt that day. While I was typing that out on Friday morning I had a headache, by lunchtime it was a migraine. Its Sunday and its still lingering. It is apparently quite common for migraine's to be preceded by a depressive episode, I didn't know that until yesterday. I was taking medication 3 times a day for migraines up until I became pregnant last year. When I lost the baby I started taking them again, but obviously now we are trying for a baby again I have had to stop. I guess I need to look into alternative treatment.
To distract myself from the migraine and the doldrums I have started a new painting, and I am very excited about it. I have been looking at a lot of POP SURREALIST art recently and it has inspired me into painting something in a pop surrealist style of my own. I used to paint this way as a teenager, my Higher Grade art exam had a section in it where you had to design a book cover (anyone my age who took Higher Art will probably remember this element of the exam). My design was definitely Pop Surrealist, I cant tell you how much I wish I still had my school artwork.
I looked at a few different artists for inspiration, here are some links to the ones I really like

ANA BAGAYAN
AUNIA KAHN
AUDREY KAWASAKI
STELLA IM HULTBURG
ZOE LACCHEI
XUE WANG

You may notice they are all women? I like the male artists work, but I also like to see what my peers are doing, and for me that means women. There are many excellent works by male Pop Surrealist artists available on the web for anyone interested in this art movement.
I hope to have a painting of my own to show you soon.

*Painting in this post is by Zoe Lacchei, see link above.

No comments:

Post a Comment